I know we can all complain about the government telling us what to do, but at the end of the day, they’re not saying we can’t drink soda. As far as I know, you can still have unlimited refills in NY. They are simply reframing one aspect of drinking soda to try to nudge us into being healthier. Ultimately, this should be a good thing for us for several reasons.
- We eat or drink whatever is put in front of us. Just look at this research.
- Soda and other sugary drinks are generally not good for us. Just look at the infographic below.
- We have an obesity problem in this country (in case you didn’t know it).
- Obesity drives diabetes, kidney problems, hypertension, and many other problems that are driving up our healthcare costs and turning us into the first generation to potentially live shorter lives than our parents.
- Nudging people into behavior change works.