This is a great question.
- Has it been the big mail order pharmacies?
- Has it been the PBM’s and their negotiating leverage?
- Was the final straw Medicare Part D and the loss of the cash patient?
- Is it other retail chains and their operating efficiencies?
- Was it just a natural evolution?
- Is it the fact that money isn’t made on the Rx anymore but on the candy bars and soda?
- Is it technology and the capital investments required?
“The facts show that it is not mail-order [pharmacy], but rather chain pharmacies that are presenting a threat to independent pharmacies. According to national data from the pharmacy industry itself, for every independent pharmacy that closes, 25 chain and big-box retail pharmacies open.”