As I’m enjoying my time thinking about what’s next, one of the things that I’ve thought a lot about key problem areas in our healthcare system. Obviously obesity is one of them. And, you have lots of companies trying to figure out what to do here.
- Build an assessment tool (like Milliman or InterQual) which could be used for assessing patients and creating an evidence-based care plan.
- Work with KitchenAid or others to create a branded line of smart devices which used the Internet of Things to do things like re-order healthy foods and suggest menus.
- Work with Jiff’s assessment tool or with Newtopia to study the ability to take data and create personalized diet plans.
- Work with FitBit or other device company and a gamification company to create a kid’s device linked to a game where the key player got fat tied to their activity level and where they opened up new levels tied to their behavior (e.g., eating healthy).
- Create online communities for people to share stories and experiences (like PatientsLikeMe but moderated).
- Move from physical locations to a virtual site using American Well technology blended with Withings scales.
- Incorporate stress management and sleep management into the overall program.
- Work with Healthways and the Blue Zones effort to create a family centric option tied into the schools and focused on getting everyone healthy across generations.
- Create a mobile coach using embodied conversational agents (similar to avatars) to drive behavior change and create a location-based prompts (i.e., as I pull into McDonalds).
- Work with manufacturers to create a “beyond the pill” approach to obesity drugs that incorporates coaching and behavior change with the pill being the final mile which should drive greater formulary coverage.
- Create a detailed patient journey map based on ethnographic research for weight loss with different triggers and create a “Coach certification” that can be used with coaches to certify that they are following best practices.
- Work with biometrics companies (e.g., LabCorp, Quest) or clinics (e.g., MinuteClinic) to create an early identification process for obesity and/or metabolic syndrome with a process for them to “prescribe” a specific program.
- Research and design ethnic specific obesity related programs for sub-populations within the US. For example, partner with the large Hispanic groups to create a Spanish (language, experience, culturally relevant) programs.
- Partner with the ADA and NKF to jointly address metabolic syndrome together.
- Work with the AMA and medical schools to teach MDs how to treat and talk with obese patients (something they don’t do well today).
- Work with a grocery store or food company to create an augmented reality process for smart phones or Google Glass that would highlight healthy foods on the shelf and help people shop better.
- Work with Medicaid to create a process by which people earned cell phone minutes or lower copays based on activity and participation.
Just some ideas that I thought I’d share.